Thursday, July 4, 2013

Travis & A Speech Update

God bless this guy's heart!
He's such a blessing to me and my heart.
My mother and I take turns taking him to
speech three times a week.  It's
the VERY, very least we can do.
I also try to stop by as often
as I can during the day...
just to try to brighten his day.
Sometimes with the kids,
sometimes just with Hudson,
and sometimes by myself. 
I would give ANYTHING in this
world to be able to do more
to help him.  Until I come up
with what that is, I'm going
to continue to pray my heart
out for his healing and his happiness
and most of all for his purpose.
 
This Joel Olsteen quote recently
came across Facebook...
It may not have been fair, but if you'll
have the right attitude, instead
of being a setback, it's a setup for
God to do something great in your life.
Oh how I pray for this to be the case!
 
But still my heart will forever ache
over all of this.  Forever and Ever:(
My life is so full of amazing blessings
and I'm so undeserving...
it's just not fair. 
 
Seeing someone you love so much
suffer, struggle and long for a life
continues to some days just about
do me in:( And I'm only his aunt. 
 
He's so sweet and just such a blessing
to visit and love on and be reminded
of what a miracle he is.  Plus a daily
dose of perspective...the trivial matters
I face are NOTHING.  Nothing!
 
I wish more people would take an
interest in him and visit and be
blessed.  We all need to reach out...
if not to someone like Travis...
just to someone
It will change your life:)
He cracks me UP!!!
Sometimes I'll be talking to him and
he will totally tune me out...typical guy!
This is how I often see him ~ texting!
But my oh my...what a blessing that
he CAN text!!!  Thank you, God!!!!!!!!!!
And when a text like,
"I love you, Min" pops up on
my phone...well, my heart just melts. 
While this road has been SOOOOO
incredibly hard for our family
(in obvious ways and in ways that nobody
could quite fathom until you are in shoes
like this), I have to stop and realize that
God has sustained us, provided for us,
pushed us, and loved us every step of the way.
 
A few months ago, a girl that I went to
high school with Facebooked me that she
was at a speech pathology conference
with the inventor of DPNS, a cutting edge
therapy for helping patients learn to
swallow again, and that she thought maybe
this woman could help Travis.
So I researched the name of this woman...
hello FAMOUS in the world of
speech therapy!  She has written textbooks
and done allllll kinds of research. 
Unfortunately I also learned that she lives
some of the year in Florida and then out
of the country the remainder of the year.
 
I still thought contacting her was
worth the long shot!!!
Well, I got her e-mail from my friend
and I wrote her about Travis. 
I sent the e-mail about 11 pm one night.
This woman called me the very next morning!
I could not believe it!!!
She asked me to gather as much of
Trav's records (like EVERYTHING...
which Lynna and I did) and to
FedEx it to her as soon as we could.
She made no promises but she also
said she would find it hard to give up
on anyone (which the speech therapists
in Galveston had just told Travis
and Lynna there was NO hope).   
 
Soon enough, this EXPERT was in contact
with Trav's current therapists ~
Kristin and Holly.  The fact that we have
them is a HUGE miracle in itself.
They are the two therapists who appeared
from I don't know where to do
Trav's swallow study on Dec. 20th.
They are the ones who listened
as Lynna and I tearfully pleaded
with them to find at least something,
anything positive to say to Travis
during that test.  They not only did
that BUT also allowed him to
start trying some pureed foods!!!
They usually don't take on outpatients
like Travis...but they have taken him
on..and with such a spirit of love
and expertise and a TRUE desire
to help him.  I cry when I think about
how all of this has unfolded.
Thank you, Lord, for these three
people in our lives. 
 
Now our two therapists are under this expert's 
guidance and doing cutting edge, researched based,
new, aggressive treatments on Travis.
They can't make any guarantees
but they are SOOOOOOOOO hopeful!
Travis gets to eat small amounts of mashed
potatoes, some pureed foods,
ice cream & tonight he even
ate some of my mother-in-law's
yummy homemade banana pudding!  :)))
 
My mother, sister and I talk about how
Kristin and Holly are like two
angels who just appeared.  In our own
hometown...little ole Waco...
the absolute most amazing speech
therapists EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God is Good!!!
 
So thankful for Kristin
and of course for Travis........ 
This says it best ~

No comments: