Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mr. Edin's Retirement

By my senior year at Baylor, I knew that I
wanted to leave Waco (and never return!  ha!)
and move to the "Big City" ~ Dallas!
My bestie Kimberly and I were set that
we would both move there and begin our
teaching careers.  I still laugh thinking about
our first adventure to the Big City in our
business suits (me prentending to work for
Earnst & Young and her Enron ~ thank
Goodness she really didn't work for them!)...
but anyways, we were all set to go to the
Coppell ISD Job Fair.  We got a hotel and
drove to see where the high school was the
night before so we could be on time the
next morning.  We thought we'd prance
right in there in our suits and get jobs!!!
That next morning we about died when
we turned the corner to CHS and saw
how many cars were ALREADY there...
it was CRAZY and burst our bubbles
immediately!!!  Thankfully, I happened to
run into an assistant principal (Brad Hunt!) whom
I had met at the Baylor Job Fair & he introduced
me that day to his Principal, Mr. Edin. 
Kimberly and I didn't leave the
fair with jobs....but with leads at least!;)
 
Weeks later, I finally did receive a call
from Mr. Edin to set up an interview.
After that, and with me doing all the
"techniques" I'd learned at Baylor
(writing letters, following up, calling, etc)...
I got the job at Coppell Middle School West
teaching 6th grade Language Arts,
French and Exploring Foreign Languages!!!
 
Kimberly decided to take a job in the
Oily City (Houston!) and I decided to
head to Big D on my own.  My parents
helped me find an apartment (with a garage
so I'd never have to walk alone in
a parking lot at night!  ha!) and
then they helped me move in ~
 to Valley Ranch...right by where
the Cowboys practiced.  When they
left me for the first time, I remember
my dad saying..."You know where your
school is, where the Galleria is
and the grocery store.  You are set."
 
I was scared to death but excited
as all get out!!!!!!  I would never
have dreamed that the very next
week when I officially began at
CMS-West that I would have a new
"family" to take care of me...
starting with Mr. Edin & Mr. Hunt!!!
 
I could have searched the world over
and never EVER have found a better
school or better principals to begin
my teaching career.  God took care
of me those years when I was all
alone in the Big City!!!
 
I have kept in touch with many of my
dear friends at CMS-West...that was
such a special time in my life ~
being on my own and becoming an adult
and teaching my first group of students. 
I could never forget the amazing
friends I made at that school. 
After I left Coppell, we attended each
others' weddings and tried to get together
when we could, but life got in the way.
It had been forever since I had seen any of them:( 
 
When Brad called to tell me that Mr. Edin
would be retiring at the end of May,
I just knew I had to be there for his party.
This is one amazing man who truly
impacted my life as a teacher!!!
I always tell people how I had the absolute
best possible first teaching experience there
could be!  It's the truth...and much of that
is thanks to Mr. Edin. 
The party was in May right smack dab in the
middle of baseball and lots of end of the year
activities.  We were busy busy...but my hubby
was so sweet to drive me back to the Big City
so I could go.  When I first walked back into the
school, a flood of memories hit me!!!
Then I was in shock at the amount of
people there to honor Mr. Edin. 
THEN, I started freaking out that nobody
would remember me or that "my" friends
wouldn't be there.  But then I saw them.
I saw them ALLLLL!!!!!!!! :)
And just like that it was as if we had
never missed a beat!!!!!!!!!!!!
Getting over to finally see Mr. Vern Edin
was a bit more difficult.  The outpouring of
people there to see him and honor him
was UNBELIEVABLE!  A true testament
to the man he is!!!  How did I ever get so
lucky to work for him? 
It was so wonderful to see him and hug him!
Such a sweet, dedicated, and caring man.
And of course Mr. Hunt...
I count him as one of my dearest friends!
He's forever B-Rad and I'm Trendy!!!
Brad loves this story about me "hob-knobbing"
when I first moved to Coppell...One day my first week
 after new teacher orientation, I was standing
in line at the post office in my new CMS-West
shirt as young and as excited as could be!
The lady in front of me turned around
and started talking to me.  I couldn't contain
my excitement as I told her I was a first
year teacher and I couldn't wait to meet
my students.  The very next day was
the District Wide Convocation.  We were
all there seated with our schools and the
guest speaker was announced.  I laughed
as she walked up to the stage because it
was the lady I had met at the post office.
Come to find out she was the Mayor of
Coppell.  She proceeded to open her
speech about ME!!!  About meeting this
young, eager, new teacher!!!!
And then she had me to stand up!
Talk about a way to start your
first ever teaching year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brad absolutely loves that story...
and what do you know...
(the former) Mayor Candy Sheehan
was at the party and we met up again ~
That was merely one story that
we rehashed that day!!!
We laughed and giggled and told
story after story!!!!!!!!!!!!
We also cried over one dear teacher
who died suddenly last year,
Kristy Moore...she is missed :(
These were just the most
amazing people to work with!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan & Laurel
Kathleen!!!  God love this woman!
She took me under her wings that first year...
she was the most amazing teacher.  Her class
was set up like a cafe back then ~ it was
unreal!  Totally overwhelmed me...but boy
did she help me.  ANd NOW???  Now she
is one of Trav's biggest fans and prayer
warriors.  She's been incredible to him!
As have so many of my Coppell friends...
but Kathleen has really made a connection
with Travis.  It's so cool. 
We made a video for him that day.
She lives in Chicago now :(
CRANK IT UP!
Mr. Edin, Mr. Hunt & Mrs. Price...
the most wonderful and kindest
Principals I have EVER worked for...
all at Coppell Middle School West!!!
God certainly blessed my life
when he led me to Coppell and to these
people.  I just smile when I think about my
days there. Thankful thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"As each has received a gift,
use it to serve one another,
as good stewards of God's varied grace:"
1 Peter 4:10


No comments: