Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pastor Toby

As I have mentioned in recent posts,
Troy and I made the long overdue decision
 to get our little family back in church
several weeks ago.  I have come to realize
it was by no coincidence the timing
of when we returned.  It was only a
couple of Sundays after, on October
14th that our Pastor announced that
he wasn't feeling well and had almost
called one of the associate pastors
to preach that morning.  He didn't
though...and so sadly, that morning
is now to be the last sermon he
will have preached to our church.
The very next day he went to the
doctor and started having tests run.
This last week, it was revealed
that our beloved Pastor has
a very aggressive brain cancer
already in stage 4.  He was
given the option of treatment that
will not give him much more time
and could actually make his quality
of life even worse.  It seems
that it didn't take much thought for
Pastor Toby to know he didn't want
to fight it...this is a man ready to meet
the Lord face to face.  Our dear
Pastor has been given three to six
months more to live.  He says he has
enjoyed a life full of blessings...
his marriage, his sons, his grandchildren,
his church family, his journeys all
over the world ~ all the while
SERVING the Lord with all of his heart
and soul and might.  Pastor Toby is a 
TRUE man of God.  When I think
of someone who has walked the walk,
and talked the talk, and lived the life....
I think of THIS man. 

When Troy and I were first married,
we attended a church in Robinson where
he knew everyone.  We attended there
because we both connected with
and loved the pastor and his
preachings.  That pastor then moved
on and to be honest, Troy and I
stopped going to church for quite
a while.  I thought FBC Woodway
would be a tough sell for Troy
because it is my church...where I
know everyone, where I grew up
in the youth, where I have so many
incredible memories.  THANKFULLY,
though, it wasn't a tough sell at all

Troy and I both love Pastor Toby and
his preachings and his passion for
the Lord.  We both saw in this man
all things Godly...a man who with every
word, breath and emotion is for God. 
It's like every word he speaks
he backs it up with scripture. 
Even today as we watched a video
he made for our church in which
you can see how the cancer has
already begun its unbelievable
effects on him, he spoke THE WORD.

I am so thankful that we joined
FBC Woodway as a family of five
(the long wait from my youth
days was worth it...I could never
join back then because my family
and I were members together
at a different church).
I am so thankful we attended a
new member's class under the leadership
of Chris Sammons who has
preached two AMAZING sermons
in the days since we have learned of
Pastor Toby's illness.  AND I'm so
thankful that we dedicated our little
family to the Lord and to the church
on stage with Pastor Toby...
 I'm beyond grateful for the prayer he
said for our family that June day in 2010. 
I hadn't a clue the turn my family's life
would take weeks later and how much
my church family AND Pastor Toby
would come to mean to me. 
Pastor Toby has been at FBC Woodway
for 35 years.  He is a staple in our community.
He is a man loved by many...
and he is a man who loves the Lord.
I was overcome with emotion today
as we watched his video.  I am so
thankful that he gave us this last glimpse
of him...so we could see his face
and hear his words one last time.
He spoke of how blessed his life
has been, how he woke each day
with JOY and worked hard at
serving the Lord until his head hit
the pillow at night.  I know this
to be TRUE!!!  He spoke of the verse
in Psalms about our days being
numbered...he spoke of the
excitement he feels knowing that
being absent from the body means
being present with the Lord! 
He asked us to be a "lighthouse"...
not just in our church and in our
community but in our world. 
What a charge!!! 

This whole ordeal has left me
praying more, thanking God more
and realizing I need to do more.
Yes, I feel certain that if I were told
I had six months to live that I'd
be going to Heaven.  BUT have I
truly been a good and faithful servant
for the Lord?  No, I haven't! 
I would feel like I need and must
do so much more......well, I'm
realizing I could have less than
six months to live, it could be tomorrow.
In fact, Jesus could come for us all
in the next hour!  I am searching in my
soul for my role in this lighthouse.
I often feel like trying to raise my children
right, honoring my husband, praying,
helping Travis, teaching and loving students
at school, just trying to be a good
person in general is enough.
But it's NOT. 
Seeing Pastor Toby's life
come to an end and witnessing
the BLESSED ASSURANCE he
possesses has taught me this today. 

I do keep wanting to cry and be sad...
and I am for the Toby family and for
our church family...but yet, after
hearing Pastor Toby speak today,
he certainly doesn't want ANY of us
to be sad.  In fact, he wants us to
be praying that his homecoming
is soon, very soon. 

God is good.  All the time
I thank Pastor Toby for fully teaching me
that in the last days of his life. 
I posted this message to Pastor Toby
on the Facebook page his sons have
created to keep everyone updated. 
I'm thinking writing must be my love language;)
It's just so therapeutic for me. 
Regardless these feelings are from my heart...
 
Pastor Toby,

My heart is so heavy and so in prayer for you and your family. You are a TRUE man of God. I grew up in the youth group of the church. I can remember as a silly little girl running around the church on Estates, seeing you and your smiling face and even then KNOWING what a man of God you were. Then many years later as a married woman with a family, I was finally able to officially join FBC Woodway. You so kindly took my husband and me to lunch before we joined. We left lunch that day in even more admiration of you than before. I can't count the number of times, Troy and I have discussed your passion for the Lord. It's like every word and every bit of your heart and soul speaks for and through and with a Godly passion. Whether it be in your sermons or just in sitting down to visit with a young family joining your church, your love and your passion is so overwhelmingly evident.

It wasn't but a couple of months after we joined that my nephew was in a horrible accident leaving him fighting for his life in ICU. I was shocked when you walked into the ICU and greeted me with such compassion and understanding in the darkest moments of my life. Then you prayed over my nephew. He was deep in a coma, but he stirred during your prayer. I knew God was with us in that room as you prayed. I felt His presence through you. I will never, for as long as I live, forget that moment. You continued to keep him in your prayers and I was so grateful for that. Your sweet secretary, Karen, would call and check on him and tell me that you were praying for him. In our huge and massive church, I felt loved and cared for as an individual by the Pastor...by you, Pastor Toby. I thank you with all of my heart.

I am praying fervently for you and your family (especially for Josh, my friend for so long). Pastor Toby, you are truly what it means to be a good and faithful servant for the Lord.  What blessed assurance!!! 
 
Mindy

"Teach us to number our days,
that we may present to you
a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 90:12
 
Thank you for praying for 
Pastor Toby and his family. 
 

1 comment:

Beth E. said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your pastor, Mindy. Praying for him, his family, and your church family in the days ahead.

Love you...