Monday, April 27, 2009

My A.R. Star

I received a note from Walker's teacher
about a month ago saying that Walker had taken
the STAR test for Accelerated Reader.
He did SO WELL and I couldn't believe
his reading level. He has always loved
being read to, but I swear the kid
could not really read before this year!!!
All credit goes to his kindergarten
& pre-k teachers!!! We've had the BEST!
This was the first book he brought home to read.
He read Chapter 1 to me on the first night.
The next night he COULD NOT & WOULD NOT
put the book down...he finished the book
and he was SO into it!!!
Then, he took his first AR test at school
the next day and made a 100!!!
When I started taking AR tests in the 4th grade,
it was something I was horrified over.
I'm not ever going to tell Walker about that!
(I don't think I ever really read the books...
just couldn't picture them in my
mind like he does.)


Walker's night is NOT complete unless
he reads his AR book...even when we
beg him to take a break.
On Friday, he brought this home...

20 Tests Taken, 20 Tests Passed

(Almost all 100's if you don't mind me saying!!!)

Walker...this just THRILLS your
English teacher mommy's heart and mind!

We are VERY proud of you!!!

4 comments:

Beth E. said...

Way to go, Walker! You are one rockin' reader!

I have always loved to read, especially when I was young. Sounds like you have a voracious reader in the making!

When our boys began reading, we took them to the library and got them their very own library card! They loved checking out books and handing over the cards with THEIR names on them. Does Walker have a library card?

Our oldest, Billy, still reads lots of books, even with all of his college courses. Hubby Bill loves to read, too.

I'm so happy to hear how Walker has become such a great reader!

angie said...

Aloha!!! Just checking in and I absolutely LOVE these pictures of Walker and Hadlee! Way to go walker, that is really awesome. And the sweet 3 year old is too cute. Have a great week Mindy:-)

Blessings from the Reeds said...

YES, what a star! I hope he always enjoys AR books. I think to love to read is a wonderful thing! Way to go Walker! What a smart guy:)

Rhonda said...

And you have EVERY reason to be PROUD of that smart little guy!! Yeah Walker for the awesome AR grades!!