Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Travis ~ 4 Years Into This Journey

July 25th was the four year anniversary
of Trav's accident.  A morning/day that I'll
never, ever forget.  Just the thought of
that phone call from Hillcrest Hospital
to me, rushing to the hospital,  running
as fast as I can down the hall ways looking
for the ICU, and finally stepping foot into
his room and falling in shock at what I saw.
It was AWFUL, but thankfully
God didn't make it as awful as it could
have been!!!  For that, I rejoice:)
  
Hudson was six months old.
For a long time, I cried and cried
because I thought my little Hudson
would never know the fun-loving,
kind hearted, hilarious Travis the
 way Walker and Hadlee did. 
 That broke my heart.
I was SO wrong though and looking
at this picture I took a couple of weeks ago
 says it all! Travis and Hudson are kindred
 spirits and I'm so grateful to God for the
way He has used them in each others'
lives and in our families' lives. 
 God is always at work.
I never doubt that anymore
after all that I've witnessed. 

There's so much to this story and so many
aspects to it!  I could go on and on forever.
I really need to write a book about it all. 
I tell this one often but it's worth it...
Hudson was a BIG surprise for my little family.
Best surprise ever of course...but a real shock! 
 A couple days after Trav's accident,
I was in my kitchen balling my
eyes out trying to put together something for
my kids to eat for breakfast and quite honestly
 wondering how in the world we could
ever survive this tragedy when I looked
 over at Hudson sitting in his white wooden
 high chair smiling and kicking his little
 legs and giggling ... it was at that moment I knew
 why God had surprised us with Hudson.
He knew my entire family needed him.
I'll never forget that moment in my kitchen.
Talk about a God moment!

And then in the many long months that followed,
Hudson reaching out to Travis while he
was in a coma and then TRAVIS reaching out
 for Hudson as he was coming out of his
coma and coming back to us.
I could talk about this all day long. 
 Just amazing!!!!!

"Praise the LORD!
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good;
For His lovingkindness is everlasting."
Psalm 106:1
 To those of you that read my blog (I have no idea
how many) I thank you for sticking with us and
continuing to pray for Travis and Lynna and Scott!
It's crazy to think how many of you
I have met through this blog
and how many of you are my "friends"
who have prayed and prayed for my
Travis.  Yes, God is always at work.
FOR the GOOD. 
And we know that in all things God works
 for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose.  
Romans 8:28 
 
On July 22nd, Lynna and Travis left
to get settled at CNS in Irving. 
This is the Centre for Neuro Skills ~
the fourth hospital where Travis went
after his accident AND where he made
the most progress.  Had insurance allowed
him to stay there, I can't imagine what
he'd be like now!  We all loved it at CNS.
Unbelievably, money from a federal program
has become available for Travis to
return to CNS for 77 days.
The people at CNS were as thrilled
as we were when we heard this news!!!  
We had to have a little send off party
that morning!!!  Others had said their
good byes the night before. 
While I am THRILLED for this
opportunity, my heart was aching:(
I am quite attached to this guy
and see him almost every week day.
I balled like a baby when they
left...for him, for my sister,
for his life, and selfishly just cuz
I was going to miss him;(
Unless you see what they go
through on a DAILY basis,
you can't really understand. 
Their lives are HARD, but they
laugh and smile and have fun with it!
That's the only way to go!!!
Team Travis:)
God bless these three and Scott!!!!!!!!!
And then they were off!!!!!! 
BLESSED by the prayers of so, so
many people!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
On July 25th, I just feel like I have
to see Travis...touch him, be with him,
give thanks to God and just
treasure the fact that we came so
close to NOT being able to have
him with us!!!!!!!
I would have just died, too, had
he not survived that accident.
 We just happened to plan a little trip
in Dallas around this time;)
So Grandmother and I DID get to
be with him that evening!!!!!!!! :)
Grandmother was reading
a card to him from a special
lady in her Sunday School class.
People are so kind...in big and small ways.
It's very costly for Lynna and Scott
to drive to Irving, stay there, eat out, etc.
A friend gave Lynna a hundred dollar
bill as she left for that week.
So thoughtful and such a reminder
to me to think of others and their
needs in all different situations.
 A really cool male aid came in
and said "deuces" to Travis. 
Whatever that means;)
But I had to get in on the action myself.
That night - four years later -
 I got to hug this guy's neck and laugh with him.
That is a MIRACLE seeing where
he was that very day four years ago. 
 He's at another rehab in Dallas for another stay
because more MIRACLES are to come! 
 I'm so grateful that we serve and
love a God of MIRACLES! 
 I love you, Superman Travis,
and I'm so proud of you!!!
 
All of us got to visit him that weekend, too!
Travis lives in an apartment type
environment with a roommate
and they have an aid who is with
them at all times.  Of course it's not
ideal for Travis...but all part of the
program and learning how to live again.
During the week days he rides a bus
to therapy where he is receiving
physical, occupational, speech,
education therapy AND counseling
(from an AWESOME guy who he
had there before).  I think the counseling
alone is HUGE!
This is his apartment ~
 It's INCREDIBLE how everyone
there LOVES him.  He's kinda famous;)
  Travis is just so lovable...
you can't help but be interested in his
story and his spirit and of course
his million dollar smile. 
 His room:)  He also has the picture
of him and Hudson on his night stand.
 His first couple of weeks have
gone okay.  It's quite an adjustment
for his life.  A much needed one though!
I am just praying with my whole
heart that he will progress from
this stay at CNS!!!
 I have been missing him terribly
this week though.  It's hard not being
able to pop in and love on him:(
 Please keep praying for Travis,
Lynna and Scott!!!  They need the
prayers and support!
A friend wrote this in a comment
on the anniversary of Trav's accident.
I couldn't have said it better myself:
Sometimes the journey is hard
and heart wrenching
but the blessings are abundant!!!!

"It is the Lord who goes before you.
He will be with you;
he will not leave you or forsake you.
Do not fear or be dismayed.”
Deuteronomy 31:8
A real life miracle, indeed.
One that has changed the lives
of many of us.
FoReVeR.
 You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.
Psalm 77:14 

1 comment:

snekcip said...

Oh Mindy this post brought so many memories back. I can recall the day you shared that on your blog and I immediately began praying for Travis and even had him added to our prayer list at church. Travis journey has been such a testimony (as I have always said). I agree with the birth of Hudson, this verse is so reminiscent of that

Psalms 127:3

Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward.

The relationship between Travis is Hudson was the reward that God's word promised.

Travis has been a reward to many of us who floundered in faith, fell by the wayside or even doubted God's existence. Travis is living proof that GOD IS A TRUE AND MERCIFUL GOD. I thank your family for sharing this amazing young man with us. We are uplifting him through prayer through the abyss and praising him through the plateaus. Yes that day changed so many of us and more GOOD WAYS than we can ever account for. I hope to be in that area before he leaves and if so I would love to stop and visit if not TOUCH a TRUE MIRACLE of God for Travis surely is HIS MIRACLE.

Continued prayers for Lynna, Scott and Family, you two are truly are such wonderful and supportive parents for Travis. I know as parents we sometimes feel we have to be SUPER HUMANS but allow yourself to feel vulnerable and cry when you need to. Your family has something many families would love to have and that's a STRONG SUPPORT SYSTEM!! There is TRULY NOTHING LIKE FAMILY!

This verse is for Scott and Lynna. They allowed God to take charge and work miracles in his life and God has given them great favor in doing so.

Samuel 1:26-28

She said, "Oh, my lord! As your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you, praying to the LORD. "For this boy I prayed, and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of Him. "So I have also dedicated him to the LORD; as long as he lives he is dedicated to the LORD " And he worshiped the LORD there.


Thank you again Mindy for sharing this beautiful post. I'm still here and still following and loving your sweet family!!