Sunday, April 6, 2014

This Guy Travis

Trav's throat doctor and therapists have really
stressed to him the importance of remembering
to swallow...and to swallow often.
His saliva especially. 
Can you even imagine? 
I can't :(
 
Travis was trying to figure out
something to help remind him to
swallow every minute...
Guess what we came up with?!?  ;)
He's such a mess!!!!!  
Every single day I try to wrap my mind
around his life, my life, the unfairness of life,
the goodness of life, the future of his life, etc.
I get this wave of heart ache.  It's unlike
anything I've ever experienced.  It's truly an
ache for someone else.  It's a true heart ache.
I saw this the other day and it pretty
much described how I know Travis
must feel every single day...
although he can't express it, or even
shed tears over it.  This must be
what it's like for him:(
But he always flashes that smile.
He always makes me laugh.
God bless my Travis!!!!!!!
"But you, O Lord, are a shield around me;
you are my glory,
the one who holds my head high."
Psalm 3:3
Throughout this journey, we have been
so blessed by certain people.  Most that
start to help Travis end up falling
so in love with him and his spirit
and his story.  You just can't help it!
Michelle, his morning aid,
is one of those people!!!
She has been WONDERFUL to him
and to our family. 
We just love her!!!!!
AND very obviously they love each other!!!
The Good Lord also blessed us tremendously
with two speech therapists at Hillcrest
who took SUCH an amazing interest
in helping Travis.  My mother has been
taking him and his aid to Hillcrest
three times a week since he returned
from Galveston.  They LOVE him
at Hillcrest and we love that he gets
out ~ almost like it's his job!
NOT a very fun job at all though;(
Unfortunately his progress has slowed
quite a bit and insurance will no longer
cover speech therapy for him.
This was a devastating blow
for us last week.  Thursday was his
last day.  Thank Goodness we
still have Baylor although Travis hasn't
been wanting to go. 
 I think he's just tired...
I mean, seriously, who wouldn't
be tired in this situation???
I do my best to encourage him and love him.
Lynna and Scott give it their all to do the same
for him. He refused Baylor this week,
but hopefully next week he will be back
in action.  This was last week and he just looked
so handsome, I kept taking his picture:) 
Sucker Punch #9,847 happened this week though:(
I ran into a friend who I used to teach with
at the middle school years ago. 
We talked briefly and she happened to ask
me "How my cousin was?"
I looked at her kinda funny and I
said you mean my nephew?
She said, "Yes!  The one I taught when
he was in middle school.  Blue eyes,
best smile.  What is he doing with his life?"
It dawned on me rather quickly that she had
no clue what had happened to Travis.
I am so used to people asking how
he is doing and this just caught me so
off guard.  I hated having to tell her:(((
I would give anything not to have to
tell her the truth about his life.
I got through it with minimal tears
and was able to share with her how
devastating it has been yet how
glorious it has been, too. 
But when I left and called Troy to tell
him, well, the flood gates opened.
#dailycrynumber15785forTrav
(usually get those in during the quiet
moments of the car pool line;)
Later on that night, though,
I realized how VERY fortunate I was that
I didn't have to tell her that
Travis was dead ~ that he had been
killed in a horrible accident.
THAT so easily could have
been his story. 
 
Thankfully he still has a chance...
he still has a purpose...
he still has a God and a family
who love him more than he
could ever imagine.
It's still so hard to grasp
and I hate his life so much
for him and many times I just
don't know what to pray for on his
behalf.  Still more healing?
For a friend?  His purpose?
 
But then I realize...
"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our
weakness.  For we do not know
what to pray for as we ought,
but the Spirit himself intercedes
for us with groanings too
deep for words."
Romans 8:28 
 

No comments: