Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Celebrating a Miracle's Birthday!!!

Michelle, Logan, Walker, Hadlee,
Hudson and I headed to Austin
to spend a few days with Travis for
his 22nd Birthday!!!
My children have really experienced
a lot throughout this whole ordeal. My
prayer is that they will be more
empathetic and compassionate and KNOW
without a doubt the power of God and family. 
A little over five months
since the accident...
Logan has certainly changed for the positive...
except that he doesn't want to drive.  :(
We ate at this particular Chick-fil-a
numerous times on EACH visit!
It was the best one ever and
somewhere that made us all happy...
and the workers were so kind to always
ask about Superman and to pray for him!
That night we made posters for the BIG day...
January 5, 2011...
Trav's 22nd Birthday!!!!!!!!
Travis was having speech therapy
when we got there that morning.
This is JOY...we love her dearly!!!
After Speech, Travis went to physical therapy.
While he was gone,
we decorated his room! :)
Notice there is a little Superman Travis fan
taking a nap in somebody's bed! ;)
The first guests to come by were the REEDS!!!
All the way from Waco to celebrate
this special day...meant the WORLD to me!
Especially since it was also Lauren's
birthday!!!  Had to have a little
something for this most special
young lady!  Love her dearly
and love that she and Trav
share January 5th....
My little ones were thrilled to see the 3 L's...
As usual the Reeds came bearing sweet gifts for
Travis.  They have been INCREDIBLE since
day ONE of this journey to my entire family.
First and foremost with their FAITHFUL prayers
and then supporting us in more ways than I
could ever record.  Angels on Earth! 
I love you dearly, Robin!!!
Then some of Trav's friends arrived!:))) 
It was SUCH a special day in so many ways!!!
Friends (and family) have been the
BEST therapy for Travis. 
We were all so happy and SO WAS TRAV!  :)
Alyssa has been a very special
part of this journey.  She has been
amazing to Travis and our entire family.
  We love her like our very own now. 
Big Huds with some LOVE
for Travis....
I have such amazing new, young friends;)
Look at that smile on Trav's face...
it was one of the first real smiles we saw!
We all had such a great time
celebrating our superman that day!!!
22 years old...my how we should
never take anything for granted.
You just never know when your life
could be changed FOREVER. :(
SUPERMAN STRONG!!!
That morning a man came into Trav's room
and told me there was an article about
Superman in the paper.  I couldn't believe
 my eyes when I saw that this was on the
FRONT page of the Austin American Statesman
on Wednesday, January 22, 2011.
I mean, what are the odds?!?
God is so clever and funny!!!
I believe I celebrated this birthday of Trav's
as much as I did his actual birthday 22 years
ago.  I'll never forget this day or that day.
Lynna's blood pressure had sky rocketed
three weeks early and her doctor
was forced to induce her immediately.
My parents picked me up early from school
and we raced to Temple to be there
for the birth of baby boy or girl Bigham?!?
I will never forget when Scott walked out
of the delivery room HOLDING
this little baby???????
He told us that we had a BOY?
It's no secret that Aunt Mindy had
wanted a girl all along. ;)
Well, it took me about .5 seconds
to fall head over heels in love
with this precious little angel God
had blessed our lives with.
I knew true love right then and there.
I'll also never forget when Scott
pulled off the little hat on Trav's head and
I noticed that my baby nephew
had a conehead!!!  I was a mere 13
and had no clue why.  I
very clearly remember thinking,
"that's okay...I will still love him
forever!"  Imagine my surprise
when less than an hour later,
that conehead was GONE!!!;)
I had to leave later that afternoon
to rush back to play in a basketball
game.  My friends and team
cheered as I walked into the gym. 
EVERYONE celebrated the
birth of this baby boy.
He was SO very special
AND famous back then, too!!!
In the subsequent days, my parents
and I raced to Temple every day
to see and hold and love our
precious Travis (took a few days for
him to be named!  ha!).
I learned so much about
 being a mother, an aunt, a
grandmother, a babysitter.......really
just so much about love
That love has never waivered and it never will. 
Aunt Michelle and Hadlee were out
picking "beweees"!!!  (berries!)
I'm thinking this was when we all
realized Hudson's love for TRASH CANS.
He found this very clean, new trash can
in an empty office and became
obsessed with it.  We all got the biggest
kick out of this (especially Travis!!!)
and the nickname,
"Janitor Hudson" was born!!!
Jan...one of Trav's AWESOME physical
therapists at Texas Neuro. 
Thank God for people like her!
Walker loved to make Travis laugh by
running up this certain hill & tree and then 
rolling down.  Travis was always willing
for us to push him to the window to
watch this and we were always
guaranteed smiles.
Other times Walker was doing
stuff like this........;)
Walker & Travis have always had a great
relationship.  It kills me for Travis to be
going through this and for my sweet little
Walker to be taking it all in...
with such grace & character
at his young little age.  :(
Somebody's been sleeping in Superman's bed!;)
Roaming the halls of
Texas Neuro...
Hudson making himself at home in the lobby
at Texas Neuro;)
Just being Aunt Mindy:)
Sweet Aunt Michelle in action...
she is so caring and takes care of every
single need that Travis has. 
She should have been a nurse. 
Travis & Logan...
two of my three January babies!
Logan has amazed me during all of this.
He's been so mature and so open
with his emotions.  He's a really great guy.
We made a request on Caringbridge in the weeks
before Trav's birthday for people to send
him birthday cards.  He received SOOOOOOOOOO
many from people ALL over the world!!!
Family, friends, friends of friends, strangers......
it was so awesome and made Travis
feel so good!
Hudson thought the cards were REALLY cool, too!
That night Aunt Michelle treated
us to a hotel!!!  The kids were so excited!;)
And they all wore their
Superman jammies!!!
We even got to share Trav's story with
the pizza delivery guy.  Telling his
story also means sharing God's story.
Michelle & Logan were very, very
good to my WILD kids and me!;)
There were just so many birthday cards
and it was so amazing to read them
to Travis.  And I did just that!
All the while Hudson just kept opening
and closing the Superman themed song
card from Aunt Kitty & Uncle Ron!
We were ALL so touched by the
wonderful cards that were sent to Travis. 
Troy set up the iPad to be able to send/receive
text messages.  Travis couldn't quite text yet,
but he loved getting messages and then trying
to tell us how to respond for him.
Michelle & Logan have the sweetest hearts
and Travis loves them both so much!
You can see how Trav's facial features took
a long time to come around. 
The brain is not something to mess with...
it controls WAY more than I ever, EVER knew.  :(
God bless this guy's heart...
this was the day after his birthday and
I really think we had worn him out!  ;)
Look at those two kindred spirits...
My cup runneth over...
God is so good...
I don't even have adequate words...
it's just something to see. 
There is something so special about these
two and it makes my heart want to burst. 
Leaving Travis is THE hardest part. 
I've yet to leave him without crying.
We had to leave that night and Michelle
and I were so excited that a couple of
Trav's buddies were coming to hang
with him until Lynna got there later that night. 
This is Cody...he was the driver of the car
in the accident.  God bless his heart, too.
Both of their lives have been changed forever.
That week I kept reminding Travis that he would
 be having just this ONE birthday
under these circumstances.  I'd give anything
to hear his voice or see him eat cake
or for him to walk by the time his
23rd birthday rolls around. 
I would never have dreamed back on
July 25th that we would be celebrating
his 22nd birthday the way we were able to...
so you never know!!! 
Scott and Dana got Travis this awesome
Dallas Cowboy jersey for his birthday.
It has Trav's old football number
and then SUPERMAN on the back!
Travis LOVES it and
would wear it every single day if we'd let him!;)
I can't think of a birthday that I missed of Trav's.
Even in college I dragged my friends to his
skating party and Peter Piper parties!!!;)
We celebrated this birthday as much as
we did his actual BIRTHday.
Of course that day 22 years ago
was a miracle, but I believe this
celebration was an even 
GREATER one!

Thank you, Lord Jesus,
for the birth and miracle
of Travis!!! 

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Amazing. The love between Hudson and Travis is obvious in all of these pictures. I loved this post, Mindy. Love you!