Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Mommy Moment

So last night about five in the morning
or so, I hear "Mom" right beside my bed.
It was Walker. I told him to climb
in the middle between Daddy & me.
I get all nestled back in and back to sleep.
About 4:30 I hear "Mom, I need some water"
in that sweet little sleepy Walker voice.
Mind you an alarm clock can blare in my
ear over and over again and not wake me.
One little "Mom" and I'm wide awake.
Of course I got him a cup of water. As I
lay back down trying to get to sleep again,
I couldn't help but think about my own
mom. Ya know, your mom is the ONLY
person in the world you can request water
from at 4:30 in the morning and she'll do it.
My mother still takes care of me like that!
(Don't get me wrong...I wasn't thrilled about
getting up to go to the kitchen, but I
certainly didn't let him know that! I might
have though on the second water run at 5 am!).
Then my thoughts led to the fact that
Walker is going to first grade in a little
over two weeks. WOW. A lot of the emotions
I had as he entered kindergarten are
flooding back over me. Most of all, I just
worry about how he'll do, if he'll like it,
if he'll be happy like he was in kindergarten.
I'm not one of those moms who look forward
to sending their kids off to school. Don't get
me wrong...I've had to threaten sending him
to a strict day care center a couple of times
this summer. But that's beside the point!!!
I love having this kid with me. A school day
is a LONG day for me to not know how
he is doing. Oh, the woes of this silly mommy! All that to say, Walker will ALWAYS be
my baby. My very first born sweet baby boy.After Walker's first night home from the
hospital, he went directly to his bed in his
room. I can remember those middle of the
night feedings, walking across my house, so
tired and cranky UNTIL I got to his crib
and leaned over and saw that bundle of
pure love waiting for his mommy.There.Is.Nothing.Like.This.Love.
EVER!

Sweet dreams, Little Man!

6 comments:

Misty said...

Such a sweet post. I probably baby my little boy a little too much, but there's nothing like your first born!

Kimberly said...

I remember coming to stay with you when Walker was 3 weeks old. We went out to dinner and you were so excited to get home to see him. You are the best mommy EVER!
xoxo

Katy said...

Aw! Love the pics of you and him as a newborn! I feel this way about my 5 week old baby boy already! What is it with mommies and their baby boys??????
I canNOT imagine him going to Kindergarten or first grade! Ah! What am I going to do?
That little Walker of yours is PRECIOUS. He's going to be a heartbreaker!!!!!! :)

Shannon said...

First Grade....it really makes me cry thinking about sending Landon there in just two weeks. I thought it would be easier than kinder, but I am realizing it is just the same. I don't want him to go just as much! I love my summers with him and DON'T like him being gone from me all day. You are right - nothing like that sort of love!

Amanda said...

Oh I just LOVED those pictures! We get that nightly with Matthew.. it started a few months before I had Maxi and although we love it at the same time, we need him to learn to be on his own again because 2 in the room with us at night = not very good sleep.

I think going into 1st grade IS a bit harder. I worried SO much more because they go full days not just half days. I worried that it would be too long of a day for him and that he'd be to tired and what not. Turns out I had nothing to worry about at all. He did great with not complaints and I'm sure Walker will do just as good. That boys (like Mason, oy) has a lot of energy so I can see Walker just loving it! Mason starts 3rd on the 17.. yikes. They grow just way too fast. Isn't it bittersweet to be able to have baby coming and get to experience it all over again!?!

Sorry for my lack of commenting. We have just been so busy (as you know) with camping and then I had to do all the back to school shopping when I got back this week. Hard work, you know! ;) Ah, I love it!

Hope you have a great weekend friend! You are always on my mind and I hope you are feeling better! I would love to see some more Mindy Mama pics!!!!!

angie said...

Totally with you! I love seeing you with that precious newborn Mindy!! Oh the joy these children bring...