Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Kindergarten Bound & Excited (I Think!)

Hold me...............................TIGHT!

So, what's on my mind lately?!? Well, that's simple...the fact that my first born, my one and only son, my sweet boy, my little sidekick, my little man...will start KINDERGARTEN in less than a week. Not only does he start kindergarten, but he also turns SIX the very same week.

This is MY BOY, we are talking about ~ my BABY BOY...who is SO not really a baby anymore and won't even allow me to call him MY BABY BOY anymore! This hurts, really hurts!

Since Walker was born, I have taught two high school classes every morning (French & English). He spent his first two years of life staying with my mom and my mother-in-law at OUR house in the mornings. Yes, BLESSED are we. Then when he needed social interaction, he stayed with a WONDERFUL lady named Mrs. Sharon. He is still friends with the four other little ones who stayed there. And finally the last two years, he has had an amazing time in Pre-K at the elementary where he will attend kindergarten (awesome employee pre-k for our district ~ a HUGE teacher perk for me!). But here's the thing...I've always had my boy back with ME by 11:45 in the morning at the latest. Except for last year when I did leave him until 12:30 ~ per the teacher's request...he could have stayed all day if I had wanted!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...all that to say, somebody is going to be miss miss missing her BOY in the afternoons!!! I just really can't fathom the thought right now and it kinda makes me tear up when I do!

WOOOOOOOOO is me, uh? Yes, I know that many, if not most, kids stay at day care from six weeks of life until kindergarten and for the entire day. I have NOTHING against that whatsoever...but that just wasn't the case for us. I was truly blessed with having the BEST of BOTH worlds...having my job which I love AND still having most of the day with my kids. I'm ALL about whatever works or whatever has to work and for us, this was it and I'll forever be thankful for it. Okay, I digress...

I know my Walker Boy will be just fine ~ luckily he is rather accustomed to the school since that's where he was for Pre-K. But regardless, it will be a change & a transition. I worry about him being thirsty since he drinks SO much water during the day. I worry about him making friends (although he's never had a hard time with that). I worry about him missing me since I won't be coming to get him right after lunch anymore. I worry about him behaving (which has never been even the slightest issue before AT SCHOOL ~ but ya never know!). I worry worry worry...especially about ME thinking about HIM ALL DAY LONG and wondering if he's okay and if he's thirsty and if he's missing me. I think it's quite obvious who is going to have the toughest time..........................Mommy Mia.

But ya know, with all that being said, I'm thrilled for my boy...who is turning SIX AND STARTING KINDERGARTEN all in the SAME WEEK. I love his enthusiasm and how he can't wait to see his friends and play on the playground. I remember so well my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Bentley, and how sweet she was. I remember the HUGE ceramic pig she had filled with candy. I remember reading books while lying in the huge bath tub in her room that was filled with pillows. I remember wearing my school t-shirt and school ribbon on Fridays to support the football team. I remember wearing the red tu-tu my sister Lynna bought for me AND her Homecoming Queen crown and parading throughout the school on Halloween. I remember running around with Kelli G. ~ who remains one of my very, very best friends. I remember my mother being the 'room mom' and being at all of our class parties. I remember having my 5th birthday at McDonald's with my entire kindergarten class there and seeing my dad through the window arriving with a huge box and I knew it was the Barbie House I was wanting. I remember my kindergarten boyfriend, Mitchel Potter, and the little stuffed white puppy he gave me for my birthday. I remember my sister Michelle picking me up from school in her cheerleading uniform to take me to her high school pep rally. WOW...kindergarten was WONDERFUL!

It's funny I've been thinking how silly this post is and wondering if I'd even publish it. But after my personal trip down kindergarten memory lane, I feel A LOT better about MY BOY going off to kindergarten. SOOOO, I just need to relax and avoid being a Helicopter Mom (yes, that's lingo elementary teachers use for moms who HOVER!). And most of all, I need to pray for my Walker...my little man whom I am so very proud of every single day. The little man who melts my heart and gives me the best lovin' in the world. I just need to pray that he can relax and enjoy kindergarten just like I did. And that's just what I'll do...

Oh & Proof is in the Pudding ~ look at the happy boy on his first day of Pre-K two years ago (before & after shots!)...

Hadlee was almost four months old & oh how he missed her while he was at school...
And then first day of Pre-K last year (at age 5) before & after shots again...
He came home that day and immediately put his Aggie hat on & started working on his letters!!!
On a final note to this LOOONG post...one thing I realized as I took my trip down Kindergarten Lane (circa 1980), I noticed how ALL of my memories involved the sweetest, most important people in my life at that time ~ my mom, dad, sisters, friend & teacher. For that and these memories, I am MOST thankful. I hope & pray & plan to provide those same surroundings and that same love to Walker this year. Good luck Walker Boy!!! Mommy & Daddy love you...we will hold your hand when you need us and let go when you need that (maybe!)!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have chills reading about your kindergarten experience. I can't believe how much you can remember! A great friend of mine has this quote listed on her blog..."beginnings are scary, endings are hard, but it's what's in the middle that counts" (I think I got that right?!). I just love that. I will pray for you and your little stud muffin as you face a week of new beginnings. He will love school and look back with memories like you have. Good Luck and watch out Kindergarten!!!!:)

KJack said...

ahhhhhhhhh......Mrs. Bentley....she was the reason I became a teacher! I even made sure to get a bathtub for my classroom my first year of teaching.

I hope Walker's kindergarten year is as wonderful as yours was!

Blessings from the Reeds said...

This post made me cry! It was a great reminder of how much fun these boys will have at kindergarten. I can't get over how much you remember. This is going to be one BIG week at the Pierce house. Fo-sho! A week full of beautiful memories:) Walker is going to have the best time at Kindergarten. I can't wait to hear all about his first day!

Big Hugs to a beautiful mom who has done an amazing job raising an amazing kid. Love ya friend~RoRo

Amanda said...

You have a FANTASTIC memory oh my! Mason not having enough water is always a concern of mine too, but I send him to school with a water bottle since it's SO hot out still. I'm sure he'll do great and mama will too! Can't wait to hear all about his first day

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness! What a big boy! Walker is going to be a star student! He is going to be fantastic and drink water every chance he gets! You have prepared him well. He's going to go and SHINE!