Tuesday, December 17, 2013

DARE Graduation

Walker's school participated in the 
Drug Awareness program called DARE.
Last week they had their "graduation"!
Obviously any awareness on the dangers
of drugs and alcohol is very dear to my heart.  
And even more importantly, the importance
of making GOOD choices.
That's what DARE teaches.  
Walker did great:)
Troy hi-fived all our faves as they walked by...
especially this one!!!
Kate was one of the finalists on the ESSAY
competition!  So proud of her!!!
There are a group of 11 fifth grade mamas
who stick together on any and all things
boy mom related;) plus we've all become
dear friends along the way.
We had our normal group texting on 
overdrive the night before banning together
on what our guys should wear for 
the graduation.  We decided jeans
and TUCKED in button downs. 
It helps to have support when trying
to force an 11 year old boy to wear
a button down to school...much less
TUCKED in!  Thankful for my mama friends:)
Plus we pretend they are all our 
own especially when some moms 
can't be at a function.  
It's our own sort of "faith/school families"!
Mike, Jonah, Walker
Oh how I pray these guys will "get it"!!!
They are only in fifth grade right now and it's
pretty easy to make the pact not to do
drugs or abuse alcohol at this point.
PRaYiNG they try to make good choices
all the days of their lives...
I love this group of kids so much!!!
So many of them have SUCH a special
place in my heart.  Like precious Jillian...
 And of course my Sweet Kate Kate!
And her precious friends whom I adore!
Great guy friends, too!

BUT we couldn't love our favorite
fifth grader more!
(He was in the BIGGEST rush
to go change out of his shirt
and get to gym class!!!  ha!) 
The night Walker showed me his 
DARE essay I was really upset 
that he had not written about Travis.
He told me if he wrote about 
Travis then he knew he would win
and he did NOT want to read 
his essay at the graduation ceremony.
He told me this with tears
wailing in his eyes.
I really had to take a step back
and understand.  Walker isn't ready
to share Trav's story in a public
way and that's okay.  He may never be. 
Trav's situation hasn't just broken
my heart...but it has broken this 
sweet, sensitive little guy's
heart, too.  I've always known that:(
My prayer will continue that what happened
to Travis WILL always stick with 
Walker and his friends and help 
them to make the right choices. 
AND that someday Walker
will be able to share this story from
our lives...but it will be when HE 
is ready ~ not mama!  ;)
Amanda and I keep showing up 
everywhere in our matching 
hot pink coats!!!  
We are DARE Graduates, too! :)

No comments: