Friday, February 8, 2013

Lighthouse and Love

Our pastor went to be with the Lord
on December 29th.  He was diagnosed
with cancer in October...I still can't
believe that this happened. 
It just still doesn't seem real. 
I am so thankful that Troy and I
had decided to get back involved
in church...and that we heard
Pastor Toby preach his last sermon
on October 14, 2012.
Who would ever have thought?  :(
 
Pastor Toby led by example in his
daily life and in the way he died.
 
I have no doubt that Pastor Toby
heard these words as he entered
into God's presence...
"His master replied, 'Well done, good
and faithful servant! You have been faithful
with a few things; I will put you in charge
of many things. Come and
share your master's happiness!"
Matthew 25:21
I will forever remember this man
praying with my little family of five
as we joined the church, the way he
came and prayed over Travis in
the ICU at Hillcrest,
and most of all for his passion for the Lord!
His passion was obvious in everything
he did...whether sitting down to lunch
with a couple like Troy and me sharing
his vision and his faith with
such enthusiasm or from his
podium on stage of our church
preaching directly from God's word. 
 
He made a video for our church
to explain to us what he faced and
his decision to not fight the cancer...
that he was ready and willing to
meet his Savior! 
What blessed assurance to be
able to say this.......
"My faith is rock solid in Jesus Christ."
 
Everytime I watch this video
I take something new from it...
 
Troy and I attended his funeral on January 4th. 
It was absolutely AMAZING.
I just don't even have words to
describe it!!!
 
Walker took some pictures of
Troy and me when we got home
since we were dressed up:)
It's kinda weird to be sharing these on
the same post about Pastor Toby,
but Pastor Toby is truly who brought
Troy and I to First Woodway.
I've loved that church since I was in
the 7th grade.  Some of my best memories
from my youth are at or because of that
church.  I knew I always wanted to return
there someday and especially that I
wanted my children to be a part of their
youth group someday.  I knew it would be
a tougher sell for Troy since it's so big
and since I was so connected to it.
As we visited churches, we realized
that we both needed a pastor whom
we could relate to...especially through
his sermons.  God led us to Pastor Toby. 
These days, I truly look forward all week and
especially over the weekend to Sunday
mornings.  I love the time with Troy.
I love that it is him and me often
hand in hand or arm in arm
listening, learning and loving the Lord. 
I love the conversations we have
about God after church.   
It's our time and it's all about God.
I also absolutely love that our children
 are happy at church. 
There is definitely something missing
in our church right now...Pastor Toby's
physical presence is missed greatly. 
A couple of Sundays ago, I teared up thinking
about that and at about the same time
I just happened to open my new little Bible
during church to the front because
I wanted to see if Troy and the
kids had signed it...
THIS verse was on that page:
"Your word is a lamp for my feet,
and a light on my path."
Psalm 119:105
I felt it was God's way of reminding me
to not be sad over Pastor Toby but
to take his advice and be the
"lighthouse" for the world.
This was Pastor Toby's heart's desire
for our church and its members. 
Two weeks ago, our Senior Adult Pastor
was killed in a car accident on his way
to church on Wednesday night. 
This sent more shock waves through our church:(
Although I did not know Brother Gray
personally, I knew him to be nothing
but kind and joyful...and he, too,
had visited my family at the hospital
after Trav's accident.  
Basically our church family watched
a truly Godly man die gracefully
and preparedly...then we watched
a truly Godly man die suddenly
but yet still preparedly because
he was living his life for the Lord.
There is MUCH to be learned from both
of these men in their living as well
as in their dying.  I feel that God
is up to something in our church.
I'm excited to be a part of it.
I feel Him tugging at my heart
in certain ways and I am praying
that I will have the courage to
act upon these urgings.
I need to be MUCH more of a
lighthouse in my everyday
walk with the Lord. 
"The Lord is my light and my salvation -
whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the
stronghold of my life - of whom
shall I be afraid?"
Psalm 27:1
"...take on an entirely new way of life - -
a God-fashioned life, a life renewed
from the inside and working itself into
your conduct as God accurately
reproduces His character in you."
Ephesians 4:24

No comments: