Friday, April 6, 2012

Sr. Caring...with Trav:)

Well, it was supposed to be about a
30 day stay at Sr. Care Nursing Home
for Travis, but as is always the case,
there is so much red tape/paperwork/
hangups/etc. for people in tough
situations like him.  As of now,
the programs are not in agreement
with what kind of care Travis needs 
at his home ~ LVN vs. RN vs. a
tech and for how many hours each week.
As they fight this out and
Lynna places call after call
every single day, Travis sits
as the four walls of his nursing home
room close in on him:(....
BUT in true Travis fashion,
he makes the most of it!!!
And we, his family, try to help
do the same for him:)

 PaPa & Super T Himself
This is Jessica...one of the angels
that God sent our way.  She works
in physical therapy at Sr. Care.
She comes and gets Travis to
"work out" in their gym...although
technically he can't really have PT there.
She's awesome and has taken
such an interest in Travis.
This is Jessica...she is one of Trav's
techs.  She gets him.  She understands
that Travis wants to do as many things
by himself as possibly possible
and she lets him!  :)
Jessica also gives Travis a really
hard time;) That is crucial in
succeeding with Travis!!!
We are so thankful for the
Jessica's at Sr. Care!  :)
THIS IS SO TRAVIS..............
Travis is still going to Physical Therapy
at Outpatient Hillcrest three times a week
(we wish it could be more...but, well,
you know how that goes).  Again,
we are absolutely BLESSED
by some wonderful therapists
who have really taken to Travis...
how can you not?!?

His #1 fan certainly takes to him...
Aunt Michelle at therapy with Big T :)
One day I came around the corner to Trav's
room to find him sitting on his bed
in this awesome shirt.  I said, "Is that
new?  Where did you get it?"...
"ROBIN"
AHHHH...love me some Robin Reed!!!!!!
 I know I often talk about not taking
things for granted when it comes to
Travis...I should someday list
all the things that Travis can't do for
himself or struggles with...but for
his sake, I won't.  But I'm here to tell
you there are SO MANY things you
would never, ever think of.
  But when you've lost function
and control of your hands and you
can't really move without assistance...
well, it leaves you not able to
do lots of things on your own. 
That is unless you're TRAVIS...
and you figure out a way or do
your very best to get as close to
doing it for yourself as possible. 
My beautiful sister works all day,
takes Travis to and from therapy most
of the time, deals with insurance
issues constantly, and always makes
sure to help Travis with every last detail
before he goes to bed.  And when
she can't, I try to...
this was one of those nights.
Lynna listed for me everything
I needed to help him with.........
I was honored and touched
and heartbroken all at the same time.
God bless his sweet, sweet heart.
If you only knew........
 Travis supporting our Macy Girl
in the Texas State shirt she got him:)
 These two are something else.....
 Especially when they are lifting their weights;)
So none of us are really too big of fans of
tattoos, BUT when Travis asks about getting
a Superman one...suddenly you're a fan!
We all agreed if this would give him
something exciting, something fun in his
life to do, then by all means go for it!
When he lay in a coma for four months,
there was often talk that Grandmother
and all of us would end up with Superman
tattoos upon his healing.  I'm still
in if his healing continues:)
 Friday afternoon therapy with Trav.....
 At least my wild little man had
fastened himself into one secure spot;)
 On April Fools Day, Scott had to
take Travis to the ER because of a
feeding tube issue.  He ended up having to
stay the night and have a new tube
put in the following morning
during a surgery procedure. 
That night Travis pretty much about
lost it.  It was like he had reached
his breaking point of hospitals
and procedures and everything.
We.were.right.there.WITH.him.
This life does suck...
as much good as there is,
it can't be argued that Trav's life
is a tough one now. 
BUT there's HOPE for
a better life and we won't ever
stop working towards that. 
Literally after a little "come to Jesus"...
he was all smiles and
facebook again;)
BUT never will he wear a hospital
bracelet again.  Don't EVEN try!!!!!!
 It is not often recommended for patients
like Travis to be put under, but he was and
he did fine.  We were BLOWN away
while he was being given oxygen at the sounds
he could make...including MAMA
and......drum roll please...........
Miiiiinnnnddddddeeeee
It wasn't clear by any means, but
it was the real deal and we
were/are so proud!!!  So much of
talking deals with our breathing...
we are discussing with various
speech therapists how or if
oxygen might be used to help
Travis in his speech therapy. 
 It wasn't easy seeing Travis back in
a real, live hospital setting especially
at Hillcrest.  AMAZING to think how
far he has come in 21 months.  And look
in the corner...Grandmother still sitting
there by her grandson's side. 
 It didn't take him long to wake up
and ask for his iPad!!!
 This little guy sure does bring A LOT
of laughter and joy to Trav's world. 
So cool how God gave us Hudson...
He knew we would need him! :)
 How about this beautiful little supporter
who had chosen to wear this very shirt
on the day of Trav's surgery...
before Kelli even knew about it. 
 I'm with these two guys driving around
quite a bit these days.  I couldn't have
better companions!!!!!!!
 The other day I was working on a project
and needed to use Walker's laptop. 
I just happened into his "documents" and
saw one titled "Travis".  I had to open it.
Walker apparently had written this
last March.  What an impact all of
this has had on my little man!!! 
Makes me smile and cry at the same time. 
 We love having Travis at our house as much
as we can.  I am SOOOOOOO thankful that
I am able to drive him and help him move
from place to place now.  :))))))
Troy does so much for Travis that
I just can't even believe it. 
He takes care of SO much for Travis
including all of his electronics
AND surprising him with a new phone
when all of Lynna's insurance on
phone replacements were LONG gone
AND really too much more for me to list. 
The kids love having him at our house, too...
SUPER kids and one Batman!;)
 The STORM at its best:)
 With a fashion show, too!!!!!!!!!!!
 I love all the laughter
in my life!!!!!
 I pray and I pray and then I pray some
more for God to TRULY come into
Trav's heart and take it over.
To allow Travis to find purpose
in this new life of his. 
It's the only way Travis is going
to make it through this. 
I pray this for him....
I pray this for me...
I pray this for my children

Trust steadily in God,
hope unswervingly,
love extravagantly. 
1 Corinthians 13:13


1 comment:

Beth E. said...

I have found that it is soooo much harder to talk to family members about God. We can do it, over and over and over, but it's not received as well from family members as it is from someone outside the family.

Praying for divine appointment...for GOD to place someone into Travis' life that will have a spiritual impact in his life. Praying, too, for God to hand pick every person who provides medical care and therapy for him. That all of them will "get" Super T and have compassion for him.

You have super parents, super siblings, super nieces and nephews, a super hubby and super children. You're a SUPER FAMILY! No wonder Trav is a SUPER MAN. He's had wonderful influence from you awesome family his entire life.

I continue to pray that each day will be able to make progress in a way he wasn't the day before...that he will have a new accomplishment. This ability to speak while using oxygen is truly and answer to prayer!

I love you, sweet friend, and I love your family.