Friday, March 8, 2013

Travis at TLC

"But I trust in You, Lord;
I say, 'You are my God.'
My times are in Your hands..."
Psalms 31:14-15
 
Travis started his latest Superman Saga
at the Transitional Learning Center
in Galveston January 10th.  He and Lynna
had a great first week there...
playing in Galveston!  ;)
Getting adjusted to life at TLC
wasn't quite as easy as hanging
out at the beach though:(
The physical therapy there
is AWESOME!!!  We have been
amazed at how much his walking
has improved!  This is such a
PRAISE:)
While the PT is amazing, other aspects
of this rehab have been difficult
for Travis.  For his safety and their
liability, they are extremely cautious
with Travis and do not let him do
as much as he did at home.  It is all
very understandable but at the same
time very difficult on Travis who
wants nothing but to be independent. 
It's also just difficult going back into
this type of environment...having a
roommate, new nurses, therapists, etc. 
We had really hoped that the speech
program would prove to be very
beneficial at this place. 
Unfortunately, the speech department
is not giving Travis or Lynna much
hope at all for his swallowing and talking.
This has been like sucker punch #9,873
on this journey.   His therapist says
his case is the worst she has seen
in her over 20 years experience. 
BUT she also says that she's never
seen anyone work as hard as Travis!!!
Technology in the years to come
will be crucial for Trav's chances
at ever eating or talking again. 
This.is.hard.to.take!:(
BUT, we aren't going to lose hope!!!
And Superman Travis certainly isn't!
DUH!!!
 
For now, we are encouraging Travis
to soak up as much of this amazing
physical therapy and we will get the
speech elsewhere (please pray for this
as we are in touch with someone who
might can offer some expertise in this area).
Travis is also receiving a lot of
counseling which he needs as much
as he needs PT, OT, and ST.  Anybody
would under his circumstances.
TLC says that it is crucial for Travis
to truly being to accept his new life. 
He continues to deal with perseveration
(Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response,
 such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite
the absence or cessation of a stimulus,
 usually caused by brain injury) and also
not accepting/understanding his limitations.
Travis is determined to go to LA
which was a life long dream before
the accident.  We hope and pray he
can reach this goal...but his time
table for it is definitely not accurate. 
My ultimate prayer for Travis
is for him to find his purpose...
and embrace it!
Whatever that purpose may be!
 
 I know there is one, and
I have a feeling God intends for it to be
AMaZIng!!!
You cannot imagine my thrill
and delight and happiness the
night that he finally answered my
FACETIME call!!!!!!!!!
Hudson's sweet questions about
where "Tavis is" continues to
melt my heart and the kids' prayers
every night for Travis are something
to behold.  I know God is listening
to those sweet, innocent, precious prayers.
Walker was recently Star Student and
had to fill in a poster to hang in the class.
He did it all by himself and look
how he filled this in...
WOW.
I found THIS in Hadlee's backpack
one day.  She had made it at school
in her free time.  How sweet is it
for her to be thinking of Travis like this...
We like mailing him stuff to
hopefully brighten his days:)
Lynna has been as many weekends
as she can afford.  It's a long drive
and it's not an easy one.  In fact,
her last trip she had a wreck in
downtown Houston:( We've
made the trip once and enjoyed it
so much.  Scott has also been
going when he can.  It's so hard
thinking about Travis being there
alone so much.  It hurts my heart
every single day to think about it
and picture his handsome and sweet
face there.  Of course, the other
patients and many of the staff have
come to love our Superman:)
We miss him something awful. 
I cracked up this night when
he answered my Facetime
with his aviators on!  He's a riot;)
A friend of ours whose son I taught
and they happen to be Lynna's neighbors
brought this to me for Travis!
It's perfect:)

I realized a long time ago that
angels really do live amongst us.
We have sure met plenty on this journey
with Travis.  Some are friends we've
known forever who have stuck with us
through allllll of this and others are
complete strangers who have blessed
our lives in countless ways ~ mostly with
their love and support and prayers. 
Angela is an angel...
she has been praying since day one for
Travis, but this summer really became
involved in our journey.  She's a doctor
and a speech therapist!  She's been
such a huge advocate and help
for Travis and Lynna.
Now she is a dear friend, too......
I love knowing angels!!!

 
Lynna took this picture of Travis
at her hotel in Galveston. 
Obviously Galveston agrees quite
well with Travis!!!
The beach always has:) 
One afternoon they were driving up and
down the sea wall and Lynna told
Travis that she wants a house there.
He texted her that he was going to
buy one and she could come
and stay with him as long as she
cleaned it for him!  ha! 
Thank God for Trav's
fighting spirit, his great sense
of humor, his good looks,
and for just how much fun he is. 
One thing I sometimes catch myself doing
 when I see a picture of Travis pre-accident,
is getting so sad and crying.  It's not really that "I"
miss that Travis (of course I do to some point),
but it's more I miss that Travis for him.
For all that he wanted to be and do. 
I am so aware of how quickly our lives
can change.  I look at my own kids
and I wonder what lies ahead...and
I pray.  I pray my heart out for them to
seek and serve God first and only and always. 
I'm thankful that I don't have regrets
with Travis before his accident. 
Oh sure, I wish I had corrected him
more and pleaded with him more
to change his wild ways ~ which I
knew he eventually would ~ like
we all do as we grow up. 
He didn't get that chance.
Thankfully, I don't have regrets
over the time we spent together or
how much I loved him then or now
God continues to nudge me and remind me
in my saddest moments over Travis
that He does have a purpose for him.
An amazing purpose for all of this!
I read this quote somewhere...
"God uses enlarged trials to produce
enlarged saints so He can put them in
enlarged places!" (Bishop Eddie L. Long)
Bring.it.on.for.Travis!!!;)
This merely strengthens my prayers
for TRAVIS to find that purpose.
La Tante (moi) will do everything
in my power to help him forever. 
Once my Superman,
Always my Superman!!!
I swear Tenth Avenue North must
have written the new song "Worn"
for Travis.  Talk about perspective...
before July 25, 2010, I would have listened
to that song and applied it to my measly
little life of just being tired. 
Now I listen to that song and I
KNOW what it is to be truly worn...
I think of Travis and others I know who
are truly WORN, truly struggling,
truly needing redemption to win. 
Travis would give anything to
know that his struggles will end. 
Sure, in reality, we are all worn...
but I needed this true perspective in my life
and the realization that there's only
one source for us to feel
redemption win no matter what
our circumstances are. 
 
"God can restore what is broken
and change it into something amazing.
All you need is faith."
Joel 2:25

1 comment:

Beth E. said...

Such a loving, powerful post, my precious friend!

I pray every day for Travis, knowing that God loves him even more than friends and family! You're right...He does have a plan for Travis. I'm looking forward to seeing God continue to move mightily in T's life!

Love you so much...